2016 Update: I care more about this blog than I do that "they" can read it, otherwise I'd stop writing it and create a new one. As long as they finally leave me and my little family alone, there should be no problem, even though I requested that they don't read it. Since they have no interest in my writing, I'm probably safe. I hope so hard they will finally respect our wishes of no contact. I care so much about telling the truth and bringing healing. I fought my entire life to bring communication, truth, and healing to my FOO. There's nothing left to fight for so I have given up, at age 59. I can now only bring healing to myself and other survivors through my words. I finally went back to work on my heart-wrenching memoir that I wrote in 2012 that I originally wrote for them as my last Hope of getting my beloved family of origin and relatives back. But, There Are None So Blind As Those Who Will Not See

Thursday, September 17, 2015

From My Memoir -- In Progress (2012)



 Why I Wrote This Book
 
            I’m writing this book in an attempt to save my life. With no one in my family of origin ever really there for me, writing this story might somehow be transformative and give me the will to live (my will threatened by the symptoms of chronic illness) after my amazing daughters are grown and gone; which is just a few years away. Writing my story might prevent me from disappearing altogether.
On the heels of a drinking problem, after giving up alcohol on my birthday in January 2012, I was suicidally depressed for 1 ½ months—until—the title of this book popped into my mind followed by the momentum to write it.
            There was no point in telling the truth three decades ago if all it did was cause more suffering to me and my family (although, they are all living their lives just fine in their denial, and without me prevalent in their lives). I should have just kept my mouth shut and acted like nothing happened if there was no point. But victims need to stand up for themselves and find personal healing and happiness, and they ought to reach out and help other victims. So this book has to be the point--- to turn at least one person from victim to survivor, and hopefully to thriver, even if it’s only the author.
            My father is long deceased, and the rest of my family should not be adversely affected by my writing. It will not ruin lives. Otherwise, I’d never write it. Maybe that’s why I waited until now to do so; as a 55-year-old woman.
            I wanted to trash this at least a dozen times in the course of writing it—thinking it vile and inane. But in the end I couldn’t because I think I’m meant to tell this story. I hope my daughters will agree!
            It is written as prose, and not in chronological order; random order being more creative, raw, present-moment, less overwhelming (especially for me in writing it), and less boring -- hopefully. And I don't go into the backstory about my family, I jump right in to the heart of the matter. I believe author Tom Spanbauer might deem that as coveted "dangerous writing."  And that's exactly what I aspire to.
            My wish regarding the mandalas I drew and included as chapter headers is to bring beauty and light to this work. A mandala is described as a pattern of power that represents the whole circle of existence. But I just think they are pretty and comforting to create. They remind me of kaleidoscopes when I was a kid!


"We are told"..."that until we forgive we will never heal. We forget that forgiveness is a grieving process that often includes the expression and release of negative emotions, especially disappointment and anger. It's no use trying to avoid these painful feelings. Forgiveness that is insincere, forced, or premature can be more psychologically damaging than authentic bitterness and rage." ~ Sharon Salzberg.